Piranha Arts Consultancy & WOMEX World Tour
It is encouraging to see some of the values held by our global community being considered on a higher level – these are little steps but steps nonetheless! 2015 marked the 10th Anniversary of the UNESCO Convention on the Protection and Promotion of the Diversity of Cultural Expressions: an important tool for all of us players of global music and still lots to be done to ensure it is implemented!
A short extract of the United Nations text of the 2030 agenda for sustainable development entitled 'Transforming our world'. Have a look at its Article 36: "We pledge to foster inter-cultural understanding, tolerance, mutual respect and an ethic of global citizenship and shared responsibility. We acknowledge the natural and cultural diversity of the world and recognize that all cultures and civilizations can contribute to, and are crucial enablers of, sustainable development." 15 years to work on, making culture a strong pillar of the sustainable development!
One more important tool for us from UNESCO: The Culture for Development Indicators (CDIS), aiming to help on advocacy and implementation of policies that assess the multidimensional role of culture in development processes through facts and figures. We all know that the impact of culture might be economic but also educational, social, and much more. These indicators aim to help us defend all the aspects and the impact of our work.
Piranha ARts Consultancy
To support and foster emerging scenes and exchanges, Piranha Arts offers its global network, its expertise in cultural development and its hands-on production knowledge through its branch Piranha Arts Consultancy.
From world music to a broader range of international projects, Piranha is – by inclination and by necessity – a pioneer in working at an international level with many regions worldwide; in supporting the international mobility of artists; and in promoting cultural diversity. Since 1994, WOMEX has increased the value of crossing borders, be these musical, political, cultural or commercial, finding ways to ensure that its valuable knowledge will adapt to the changing cultural environment – way beyond the world music sector.
- an advanced knowledge of the sector – from export models to digital challenges, from creators' rights to management issues – and much more;
- a strong worldwide network of cultural and creative practitioners and entrepreneurs;
- a dynamic communications infrastructure, including platforms such as virtualWOMEX and C:N NET, that reaches many thousands of professionals;
- in-house expertise in everything from shaping cultural policies to curating and designing the right measures, to setting up the respective events, workshops and meetings.
So far, we have collaborated with diverse partners ranging from governments (national to municipal level), the European Union, UNESCO, NGOs, GIZ (German Agency for International Cooperation) universities, arts councils, and foundations, to private operators such as event producers, networks or festivals.
Special Projects/WOMEX World Tour
The WOMEX WORLD TOUR presents leading music platforms to meet local players in AFRICA, BRAZIL, THE CARIBBEAN, CHINA AND LATIN AMERICA; alongside the global WOMEX and Classical:NEXT, both travelling in Europe.
We are proud to have contributed (and still provide ongoing expertise and technical assistance) to these events in various parts of the world:
- Atlantic Music Expo – AME Connecting, in Cabo Verde's capital Praia, artists and music professionals from AFRICA and all sides of the Atlantic. The Kriol Jazz Festival starts immediately after.
- Sound of the Xity - SOTX The international music conference & showcase festival in CHINA, made by the locals in Beijing, followed up by a dedicated stage at the Strawberry Festival.
- Circulart The premier music meeting in Colombia will connect you best, both locally and to all parts of LATIN AMERICA.
- Porto Musical The music & tech conference and showcase festival in BRAZIL’s Northeastern capital, Recife happens again just before its cult street carnival.
Get in touch with us, we are always open to build this spread and mix of formats, partnerships and projects.
Photo: Speed Meetings at Porto Musical, Brazil