|This is WOMEX
The World Music Expo
| | Slideshow & Video
Click on the photos to open the full Slideshow
: WOMEX 10 photos by Jacob Crawfurd: Showcase Festival; Trade Fair; Conference
: Produced by Mondomix, directed by Laelia Salvan
Resources Online Registration Info Flyer
(pdf) What Others Say About Us
"The most important international professional market of world music of every kind. This international fair brings together professionals from the worlds of folk, roots, ethnic and traditional music and also includes concerts, conferences and documentary films. It contributes to networking as an effective means of promoting music and culture of all kinds across frontiers." UNESCO Global Alliance for Cultural Diversity "WOMEX (World Music Expo) is to music as the Cannes Festival is to film."
WDR Funkhaus Europa (Germany)
"If the success of an international music industry trade show can be taken as a barometer for the health of the market it is serving then world music appears to be in robust form." Music Week (UK)
"I come here primarily to be blown away by music I've never seen and report on it. I've been going to WOMEX since 1995 and the 2010 edition was one of the two or three buzziest, best ever." Sean Barlow, Afropop Worldwide (USA)
"It's a big source of inspiration to us." Globalfest NYC (USA)
"I'd be lost without it." Arne Berg, NRK Norwegian Boradcasting (Norway)
"WOMEX should get a place in the dictionary. Everyone talks about it, everybody loves it, everybody is there." Tim De Bie, Mundial Bookings (Belgium)
"At WOMEX you have visibility into a truly global music community; there is no other conference where I am exposed to such great music from around the world." Erik Gilbert, IODA (USA)
"If I have to choose one music professional conference, I go to WOMEX! It's the most interesting one, it's the one focused on discovering music talents and sharing ideas. Emmanuelle de Decker, Blue Frog (India)
"WOMEX is the most energizing place to be every year as it is the only professional gathering where everyone is in love with its work!" Marie-Agnes Beau, International Music Consultant (France/UK)
"I have been attending the WOMEX global world music conference in Denmark for the past two years, which has opened my eyes to how the music business operates internationally." Philip de Villiers, Artist Manager (South Africa) More Quotes... In 17 editions WOMEX has grown to...
- 2250 delegates and 1250 companies from 98 countries.
- 700 concert and festival bookers.
- 500 labels, publishers and distributors.
- 600 managers and 250 producers.
- 300 national and international journalists, including 130 radio broadcasters.
- A bustling Trade Fair with 270 stands and 700 exhibiting companies from 68 countries, including numerous umbrella stands of countries, regions, networks and other joint-venture structures.
- 60 Showcase acts with 320 artists from 52 countries on 6 stages.
- 40 speakers from 21 countries in 20 Conference Sessions, plus the second International Publisher Matchmaking, Mentoring Sessions and Speed-Dating.
- A new 'jazz & world' focus at WOMEX.
- A special, exclusive event for the festive Opening Concert - Hungarian Heartbeats - organised by Hangveto, Palace of the Arts, Budapest, and Forum.
- Three WOMEX Awards honouring the artist Hugh Masekela from South Africa; Francis Falceto, France, originator and curator of the Éthiopiques series of CDs; and the label of the year, world village / Le Chant du Monde / harmonia mundi based in France/USA/UK/Spain.
- The Roskilde Festival World Music Award presented to the El Mastaba Center for Egyptian Folk Music, Egypt, during the WOMEX Award Ceremony.
- The WOMEX World Music Film Market with 13 Film Screenings, in cooperation with IMZ, the International Music + Media Centre, Austria.
- Numerous Networking Meetings, Presentations, Receptions and the WOMEX Networking Breakfast on Sunday morning.
- The WOMEX Radio Studio for live interviews and performances, organised by NRK from Norway.
- virtualWOMEX - the professional future of world music online.
All this and more to come in 2012.
WOMEX 11, 12, 13 WOMEX 11 Copenhagen
2009 brought a new city and a new partnership. Denmark's capital has hosted WOMEX
from 2009-2011. Many of the city's key cultural players banded together to make the invitation, and then created WorldMusicFair Copenhagen
(WMF CPH) to become the local production partner. First and foremost Roskilde Festival, Copenhagen Jazz Festival
and Wonderful Copenhagen. The other principal members comprise the Danish Center for Culture and Development (CKU/DCCD), Global Copenhagen and World Music Denmark in cooperation with Welcome Meeting Management. WOMEX 12 Thessaloniki WOMEX 13 Cardiff
Sixteen WOMEX editions have affirmed the value of networking across borders, be they musical, political, cultural or commercial. Since 1994 WOMEX has been travelling all across Europe
from Berlin (1994), via Brussels (1995), Marseille (1997), Stockholm (1998), Berlin (1999 + 2000), Rotterdam (2001), Essen (2002 + 2004), Newcastle (2005), Sevilla (2003 + 2006 - 2008) to Copenhagen (2009-2011). Language
International English is the lingua franca
of the professional music community in general, the world music community in particular and the WOMEX choice for successful interaction.