// Film Produced by Mondomix, directed by Laelia Salvan
// Flyer // Flickr What Others Say About Us
"The most important international professional market of world music of every kind. This international fair brings together professionals from the worlds of folk, roots, ethnic and traditional music and also includes concerts, conferences and documentary films. It contributes to networking as an effective means of promoting music and culture of all kinds across frontiers."
UNESCO Global Alliance for Cultural Diversity
"WOMEX is the most fun you can have at a music conference with your pants still on." Tom Pryor (USA), Editor, Nat Geo Music
"WOMEX showcases the newest bands and the freshest talent in world music [...]." BBC Radio 3
"2011 was my first time attending WOMEX after being in the music business for over 15 years. And I am still kicking myself for not coming sooner! Fascinating, enriching, well executed and fun! will be back..." Amy Blackman (USA), Cookman MGMT (Ozomatli, MIS, Money Mark)
"Excellent possibility to be informed about tendencies in world music, specially showcases are very useful and enjoying." Orests Silabriedis (Latvia), Editor-in-chief, Muzikas Saule
"WOMEX has been the kickstarter for several of my bands as a showcase there brings out actual buyers and translates into tours: thank you WOMEX." Heidi Fleming (Canada), President, FAMGroup
"A great chance to promote the festival to the world, in person. Returned to Tanzania with lots of new ideas and contacts - fully charged!" Rosie Carter (Tanzania), Assistant Director, Busara Promotions
"Womex is and has always been the most important world music industry event. More than just a standard industry conference, it is a meeting of the minds of those shaping the industry into what it is today. Womex is a source of inspiration and energy that charges me up for the entire year to come, and motivates me to continue to pursue this unique niche of the music industry that I love so much, especially in the tough economic times we all face. It's much more than just a network; it's a community, it's a family. I look forward to attending Womex every year like I look forward to coming home after a long trip." Allie Silver (USA/Argentina), Assistant Manager, ZZK Records
"Very good organization, a lot of useful information, contacts and good music. Quality sound!" Natalia Ulanova (Russian Federation), Director, Festival "Voice of Nomads"
"WOMEX is the most important gathering for professionals in the business of global roots and hybrid music worldwide. Period!" Dmitri Vietze (USA), Founder, www.rockpaperscissors.biz
"Port of the world, the future of music: WOMEX." Sukjin Lee (Korea), Representative Easternox "WOMEX (World Music Expo) is to music as the Cannes Festival is to film."
WDR Funkhaus Europa (Germany)
WOMEX Numbers In 17 editions WOMEX has grown to...
All this and more to come in 2012. Next WOMEX Destinations WOMEX 12 Thessaloniki
- A new 'world & jazz' focus at WOMEX.
- 2250 delegates and 1250 companies from 98 countries.
- 700 concert and festival bookers.
- 500 labels, publishers and distributors.
- 600 managers and 250 producers.
- 300 national and international journalists, including 130 radio broadcasters.
- A bustling Trade Fair with 270 stands and 700 exhibiting companies from 68 countries, including numerous umbrella stands of countries, regions, networks and other joint-venture structures.
- 60 Showcase acts with 320 artists from 52 countries on 6 stages.
- 40 speakers from 21 countries in 20 Conference Sessions, plus the second International Publisher Matchmaking, Mentoring Sessions and Speed-Dating.
- A special, exclusive event for the festive Opening Concert - Hungarian Heartbeats - organised by Hangveto, Palace of the Arts, Budapest, and Forum.
- Three WOMEX Awards honouring the artist Hugh Masekela from South Africa; Francis Falceto, France, originator and curator of the Éthiopiques series of CDs; and the label of the year, world village / Le Chant du Monde / harmonia mundi based in France/USA/UK/Spain.
- The Roskilde Festival World Music Award presented to the El Mastaba Center for Egyptian Folk Music, Egypt, during the WOMEX Award Ceremony.
- The WOMEX World Music Film Market with 13 Film Screenings, in cooperation with IMZ, the International Music + Media Centre, Austria.
- Numerous Networking Meetings, Presentations, Receptions and the WOMEX Networking Breakfast on Sunday morning.
- The WOMEX Radio Studio for live interviews and performances, organised by NRK from Norway.
- virtualWOMEX - the professional future of world music online.
After three years in Copenhagen, Denmark, from 2009 to 2011, WOMEX is moving south in 2012. The new host city is Thessaloniki, Greece's second major economic and political centre, located right by the Mediterranean Sea. With its 2300-year past, it's one of the oldest cities in Europe and a true cultural melting pot, bearing traces of an eventful history between Orient and Occident. Renowned for its vibrant cultural life, it is considered to be Greece's cultural capital.
In 2012, WOMEX will be taking place one week earlier than usual
, from Wednesday, 17 to Sunday, 21 October
2012. More WOMEX 13 Cardiff
In 2013, WOMEX will be exploring Celtic grounds: Cardiff in Wales, United Kingdom, has won the international bid to host WOMEX from Wednesday, 23 to Sunday, 27 October 2013. More WOMEX 14 Santiago de Compostela
For the second time in its European travel itinerary, the international music networking meeting WOMEX will be welcomed to a Spanish city. The journey's end for millions of devout pilgrims via the "Way of St. James" since the 9th century, the legendary city of Santiago de Compostela will also be WOMEX's destination from Wednesday, 22 to Sunday, 26 October 2014. More
WOMEX is currently accepting proposals for a commitment to bring WOMEX to a new location for the years 2015-2017
Seventeen WOMEX editions have affirmed the value of networking across borders, be they musical, political, cultural or commercial. Since 1994 WOMEX has been travelling all across Europe
from Berlin (1994), via Brussels (1995), Marseille (1997), Stockholm (1998), Berlin (1999 + 2000), Rotterdam (2001), Essen (2002 + 2004), Newcastle (2005), Sevilla (2003 + 2006 - 2008) to Copenhagen (2009-2011). Language
International English is the lingua franca
of the professional music community in general, the world music community in particular and the WOMEX choice for successful interaction.