Resources: Showcase Trailer / Delegates' Statements / Film / Flyer / Photo Gallery
WOMEX is an international networking platform for the world music industry. The annual five-day event comprises a bustling Trade Fair, Showcase Festival, Conference, and Film programme, as well as festive Opening and Award ceremonies.
The next edition of WOMEX will take place in Santiago de Compostela, Galicia, Spain, from Wednesday 22 to Sunday 26 October 2014.
Nineteen WOMEX editions have affirmed the value of networking across borders, be they musical, political, cultural or commercial. Since 1994 WOMEX has been travelling all across Europe from Berlin (1994), via Brussels (1995), Marseille (1997), Stockholm (1998), Berlin (1999 + 2000), Rotterdam (2001), Essen (2002 + 2004), Newcastle (2005), Sevilla (2003 + 2006 - 2008), Copenhagen (2009-2011), Thessaloniki (2012) to Cardiff (2013).
// WOMEX 13 Showcase Trailer
// Delegates' Statements
Produced by Mondomix, directed by Laelia Salvan
// Photo Gallery
Feel free to share the photos as they were posted on Flickr under a CC-BY Creative Commons licence. Thanks for giving credit to the respective photographer. For a high-resolution version of the photos (against a fee), please contact the photographer directly to discuss terms.
The WOMEX 12 Photographers were:
"Bringing together professionals from the worlds of folk, roots, ethnic and traditional music in an extraordinary five-day event WOMEX remains a key highlight on the global music scene."
IMEXSA Independent Music Exporters South Africa
"The most important international professional market of world music of every kind. This international fair brings together professionals from the worlds of folk, roots, ethnic and traditional music and also includes concerts, conferences and documentary films. It contributes to networking as an effective means of promoting music and culture of all kinds across frontiers."
UNESCO Global Alliance for Cultural Diversity
"WOMEX is our gateway to the international world music community. Where else can you find people from so many countries in one place? It has been invaluable in strengthening our work in the global community."
Heena Patel (India), Rhythm Riders
In 19 editions WOMEX has grown to...
- 2,250 delegates and 1,260 companies from 90 countries.
- 800 concert and festival bookers, tour promoters and venues.
- 560 labels, publishers and distributors.
- 680 booking agents, 560 managers and 270 producers.
- 300 national and international journalists, including 130 radio broadcasters.
- A bustling Trade Fair with 590 exhibiting companies from 50 countries at 250 stands.
- More than 60 Showcase acts with more than 300 artists from over 40 countries on 7 stages.
- The second WOMEX DJ Summit with a specific Showcase & Conference programme dedicated to global club music.
- A special world & jazz focus.
- 80 speakers and mentors from 25 countries in over 20 Conference Sessions; numerous Networking Meetings, Presentations, Receptions and South Africa Speed-Dating.
- Film Screenings in cooperation with IMZ - International Music + Media Centre, Austria.
- The festive Welsh Opening Concert: Land of Song, curated by Cerys Matthews.
- Three WOMEX Awards honouring Los Van Van, Cuba; Festival au Désert, Mali; and label of the year, Riverboat Records/World Music Network, UK.
- The WOMEX Webcast, in cooperation with Mondomix, France.
- The WOMEX Radio Studio organised by BBC (UK), NRK (Norway), rbb and WDR (both Germany); and BBC recordings of the Showcase Festival for distribution within the EBU.
- virtualWOMEX - your online gateway to the global music community.
International English is the lingua franca of the professional music community in general, the world music community in particular and the WOMEX choice for successful interaction.