Resources: WOMEX 14 Showcase Trailer / WOMEX Statements Trailer / WOMEX Teaser / Photo Gallery / Flyer /
WOMEX is an international networking platform for the world music industry. The annual five-day event comprises a bustling Trade Fair, Showcase Festival, Conference, and Film programme, as well as festive Opening and Award ceremonies.
Nineteen WOMEX editions have affirmed the value of networking across borders, be they musical, political, cultural or commercial. Since 1994 WOMEX has been travelling all across Europe from Berlin (1994), via Brussels (1995), Marseille (1997), Stockholm (1998), Berlin (1999 + 2000), Rotterdam (2001), Essen (2002 + 2004), Newcastle (2005), Sevilla (2003 + 2006 - 2008), Copenhagen (2009-2011), Thessaloniki (2012) to Cardiff (2013).
The 20th edition of WOMEX will take place in Santiago de Compostela, Galicia, Spain, from Wednesday 22 to Sunday 26 October 2014.
// WOMEX 14 Showcase Trailer
// WOMEX Statements Trailer
// WOMEX Teaser
// Photo Gallery
Feel free to share the photos as they were posted on Flickr under a CC-BY Creative Commons licence. Thanks for giving credit to the respective photographer. For a high-resolution version of the photos (against a fee), please contact the photographer directly to discuss terms.
The WOMEX 13 Photographers were:
"Bringing together professionals from the worlds of folk, roots, ethnic and traditional music in an extraordinary five-day event WOMEX remains a key highlight on the global music scene."
IMEXSA Independent Music Exporters South Africa
"One of the highlights of the annual WOMEX conference (besides the discovery of awesome music!) is that it is truly a gathering of the tribes – devoted, passionate cultural entrepreneurs and international music lovers from all over the world who provide continuous inspiration for the following year until we meet again!"
Catalina Maria Johnson (USA), Radio Host/Producer and Music Journalist, Beat Latino
"I visit quite a few showcase events and conferences every year and WOMEX is always the highlight. There's always a lot of good music and some great music, but even more than that, the spirit of WOMEX is music and enjoyment first, business second, which means, rather than dog eat dog just under the surface, there's a sense of a bunch of very different people who form a floating collegiate."
Nick Hobbs (UK/Turkey), Charmworks
In 19 editions WOMEX has grown to...
- 2,250 delegates and 1,260 companies from 90 countries.
- 800 concert and festival bookers, tour promoters and venues.
- 560 labels, publishers and distributors.
- 680 booking agents, 560 managers and 270 producers.
- 300 national and international journalists, including 130 radio broadcasters.
- A bustling Trade Fair with 590 exhibiting companies from 50 countries at 250 stands.
- More than 60 Showcase acts with more than 300 artists from over 40 countries on 7 stages.
- The second WOMEX DJ Summit with a specific Showcase & Conference programme dedicated to global club music.
- A special world & jazz focus.
- 80 speakers and mentors from 25 countries in over 20 Conference Sessions; numerous Networking Meetings, Presentations, Receptions and South Africa Speed-Dating.
- Film Screenings in cooperation with IMZ - International Music + Media Centre, Austria.
- The festive Welsh Opening Concert: Land of Song, curated by Cerys Matthews.
- Three WOMEX Awards honouring Los Van Van, Cuba; Festival au Désert, Mali; and label of the year, Riverboat Records/World Music Network, UK.
- The WOMEX Webcast, in cooperation with Mondomix, France.
- The WOMEX Radio Studio organised by BBC (UK), NRK (Norway), rbb and WDR (both Germany); and BBC recordings of the Showcase Festival for distribution within the EBU.
- virtualWOMEX - your online gateway to the global music community.
International English is the lingua franca of the professional music community in general, the world music community in particular and the WOMEX choice for successful interaction.