- Alvarez Huntley (trumpet)
- Andrew Calhoun (tenor saxophone)
- Bennie Gerald Pete (tuba)
- Chris Lance Cotton (trumpet)
- Harry Darvell Cook (bass drum)
- Larry Lamar Brown (trombone)
- Sir Anthony Brooks (snare drum)
- Tyrus Lamont Chapman (trombone)
- region:New Orleans
- Hip Hop
- label:Tru Thoughts Recordings Ltd.
- type:Band, Big Band
- instrumentation:percussion, brass
- artist submitted by:
The Hot 8 Brass Band was founded in 1996 by sousaphone player Bennie Pete and bass drummer Harry "Swamp Thang" Cook. Still at the helm twenty-one years later they have navigated the band through some heavy waters, not least those provided by Hurricane Katrina, which almost dissolved the band. But the threat of what could be lost galvanised the band to regroup. Hot 8's recasting of New Orleans marching band traditions stirs in funk, hip-hop, hot jazz, cool jazz, gospel, latin jazz and riotous cover versions, such as their now celebrated take on Marvin Gaye’s Sexual Healing, as well as The Specials' Ghost Town and Basement Jaxx's Bingo Bango, to name but a few. They've been around the world a few times and they're no strangers to major festivals from Womadelaide to Glastonbury. There's just no stopping them.
type:WOMEX 17 Showcase