Sousou & Maher Cissoko
- Andreas Unge (bass, producer)
- Maher Cissoko (kora, singing)
- Pape Samory Seck (Percussion)
- Samba Ndokh (talking drum, sabar)
- Sousou Cissoko (guitar, kora, singing)
- region:West Africa
- type:Band, Composer/Songwriter, Duo, Trio, Quintet
- gender:male, female
- instrumentation:instrumental, vocal, percussion, singer songwriter, jazz combo, dance orchestra, unplugged
- artist submitted by:
World music act Sousou & Maher Cissoko – releasing new album early 2018 and now available for bookings!
Sousou & Maher Cissoko - from Sweden and Senegal - are one of Sweden's most loved world music acts!
Swedish National TV and radio have made programs about the group and they've performed at the prestigious Polar Music Prize. They’ve supported one of Sweden's biggest pop stars, Laleh, on her Summer 2017 tour and collaborated with hip hop artists like Timbuktu and Kapten Röd among others.
They've toured in 30 countries and now they are available for more shows in 2018.
In February Sousou’s & Maher’s fourth studio album, ”Made Of Music”, will be released. This time they have chosen to return to the 'core'; to the personal, to their own voices and instruments. Intimate with a warm, homely, feel at the same time as they have developed their expression even more inspired by collaboration with, among others, American songwriters.
Meet a duo that sees the journey as their goal and the musical and human encounters as their biggest incentives!
For info and bookings worldwide
Jaliya Music Agency
Tel + 46733002424
Johanna Boström Stone
Tel: +46 70 640 85 04
An Afro-Swedish marriage made in heaven.” Nigel Williamson, Songlines
• “… two immaculately accurate koras and voices – the result is transparent and atmospheric, the melody lines simple, the general feel full and uplifting.” fRoots”
• “Charismatic duo offered fantastic stage presence.” Alexander Agrell, Sydsvenskan.
• ”Music which goes directly from the artists' souls to the listener's hearts.” Graham Reid, Perspective Travel
• ”Sousou and Maher Cissoko turn out a first class musical experience on Africa Moo Baalu by steeping their sound in the storytelling of Africa.”-T J Nelson, World Music Central
• ”One of the best, most original West African neo-traditional albums I’ve heard in a long time.” -Bill Lupoletti, Groove 2 u
Sousou and Maher both grew up in families of musicians and it was the interest and love for the West African kora (a harp lute) that brought them together. An important guideline for the troubadour culture - which the kora is a part of - is the preservation of the musical heritage through its musicians’ continuous search for new ways. In Sousou & Maher Cissoko’s case that means magnificent kora playing and soulful singing combined with a rhythmic energy and influences from reggae, mbalax, folk, soul and jazz.
Following the heritage of the Cissoko family of West African griots, the songs deliver an important message of coming together and creating links instead of boundaries between countries and people. This is emphasized by the duo singing in five different languages
Live shows (a selection)
LALEH Summer tour 2017, Folk Alliance, Paris Jazz Festival, Festival d’ètè de Quebec, Nuits D’Afrique, Vancouver Folk Festival, TD Sunfest, Shanghai World Music Festival, Shengzhen Concert Hall, Polar Music Price, Stockholm City Concert Hall, Bali Spirit Festival, Sound & Silence Festival, Way Out West, Malmöfestivalen, Umeå Jazz Festival, Urkult, Sauti Za Busara Festival, Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, Eurokids Festival, Festival Sur Le Niger, Mali, Womex, Copenhagen, Gwanju World Music Festival, Selam Festival Ethiopia and Stockholm to name a few.
Line up (duo)
Maher Cissoko: kora and vocals
Sousou Cissoko: guitar/kora and vocals
Travelling from Lund/Copenhagen, Denmark