- Anaru Lepper (Cajon)
- Gaynor Rikihana (Vocals & Poi)
- Hemi Illingworth (Vocals, Synth & Keys)
- Kirsten Te Rito (Vocals & Poi)
- Maaka Phat (Vocals, Drums, MPC, Guitar & Poi)
- Mina Ripia (Lead Vocals & Poi)
- Tuari Dawson (Vocals)
- Uta Te Whanga Ripia-McGregor (Vocals & Cajon)
- country:New Zealand
- label:Minaaka Music
- type:Band, Solo, Composer/Songwriter, Small Ensemble, Duo, Trio, Large Ensemble
- gender:male, female, child
- instrumentation:instrumental, vocal, a cappella, electronic, percussion, visual, singer songwriter, unplugged
- artist submitted by:
WAI is a stimulating presentation of the Maori language, Maori music, Maori people & Maori culture. We are guided by our ancestors for inspiration, we fuse the inspiration with the contemporary and we try to look forward at the same time.
WAI is the past, present and future coexisting at the same time. WAI has shown that despite the language of our lyrics, Maori music is universal and can be enjoyed and appreciated by people the world over."
The bands commitment to the continued development and potential of international opportunities for Maori language music is part of their long term goal and commitment to the survival of the Maori language through the medium of music both socially and economically.
Te Reo Maori lyrics and poi (Maori percussive instrument) create the rhythmic skeleton which is then cloaked in electronica.
WAI also has a beautiful strong acoustic set.
'Maori Roots' strong, soulful, evocative, passionate and totally different.