"MAGANDA" - IVAN MAZUZE
- featured artist:IVAN MAZUZE
- release year:2009
- CD (Compact Disc)
- record submitted by:
- label:Imazuze Music
- publisher:Ivan Mazuze
buy this record
The long-awaited debut album of saxophonist Ivan Mazuze "Maganda" portrays the saxophonists’ influences of various southern African cultures as well as his continuous jazz studies. Mazuze incorporates chopi and muthimba rhythms, the maskandi and marrabenta styles with the stylistic features of latin jazz on various tracks of the album which results in a largely varied repertoire.
Maganda, which is also Ivan’s traditional name, is a document of his musical journey and experiences.
Mazuze released his debut album "Maganda" on Imazuze Music (January, 2009) in South Africa. The CD features some of the top South African musicians such as Alvin Dyers, Lucas Khumalo, Frank Paco, Melanie Scholtz, Kevin Gibson, John Hassan and more.
In 2009/2010 the album Maganda was nominated for the following categories and awards:
1. Best Afro World Group in the Oslo World Music Festival 2009.
2. Best Contemporary Jazz Album at SAMA awards 2010 (South African Music awards).
3. Winner in two categories for best Afro Jazz album and jazz/instrumental album at Mozambique Music Awards 2010.
4. Recommended best newcomer and saxophonist of 2010 at African Jazz Network.
The online magazine www.CapeTownMagazine.com “is passionate about South African music and particularly music from Cape Town. In this country and in this city we are blessed with musicians who not only have spectacular musical talent, they also know how to communicate wise and colourful insights through their songs – whether via words or via rhythms. Ivan Mazuze is undoubtedly one of those people!” (February 18, 2009).