- function: musician
- phone: Please log in to see the phone number.
- eMail: Please log in to see the email address.
- mobile: Please log in to see the mobile number.
- WOMEX 2017
- WOMEX 2011
- WOMEX 2009
Reedplayer, composer and music teacher Steven Kamperman won the second prize in 1991 at the prestigious Middelsee Jazz Concours with Trio Hip. In 1998, his group 1 Step 7 Seas was featured in the Young VIP tour, performing at all major Dutch Jazz venue. In 1999 the second CD of this group appeared, and the group performed in 2000 at the North Sea Jazz Festival and the SJU-Jazz Festival, featuring the French master violin player Dominique Pifar.
In 2001, Kamperman founded the group M.O.T - Modern Madness or Tribal Truth, a group combining African folklore elements and exciting urban jazz. Their first CD (www.loplop.nl) was released in 2004, and received outstanding reviews. Next to M.O.T., Steven is leader/composer of Labyrinth, a co-op specializing in improvised and contemporary music.
Since 2002, Steven has been artistic leader of the ‘world music street fanfare' De Tegenwind, and occasional workshop teacher. He participated in a number of other ensembles and projects:
• Alan Laurillard's Zuiderzee Orkest (2002-2003)
• Tetzepi Bigtet (2002-2004)
• Global Village Orchestra (2001-present)
• Het Nederlandse Elftal (Music Meeting 2004)
• Compasión (2003-present)
• Going Down (2001-2003)
• Vishtar (2001-2002)
• Utrecht Deep artment (1997-1998)
• Weshm (1999)
Apart from playing and composing, Steven Kamperman is involved in the organization of the Music: World Series concerts, a series of meetings between improvising musicians of different cultural heritages.