The Hellenic Society for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AEPI) was founded in 1930, at a time when the term "intellectual property" and the idea of intellectual property protection were first introduced in our country. After more than eight decades of continuous service and struggle for the protection of the intellectual property of creators of musical works, AEPI represents more than 12,500 Greek and foreign (through direct membership agreements) creators/intellectual property owners, as well as 2,200,000 foreign creators/intellectual property owners who entrusted the protection and the administration of their repertoire to AEPI, through representation agreements with corresponding Collective Management Organisations worldwide. AEPI employs 115 staff (of whom 7 work at our offices in Thessaloniki) in salaried posts and 15 lawyers. Moreover, our organisation employs 72 people as local representatives in Greece and a number of seasonal collaborators.
HELLENIC MUSIC ORGANIZATION (OEM)
The Hellenic Music Organization (OEM) is the first organization in Greece dedicated entirely to the research and support of Hellenic music culture and its creators.
OEM constitutes a cultural entity, which has been initially supported in its foundation by the Hellenic Society for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AEPI). OEM focuses its activities primarily on the diffusion of the spontaneous yet so rich in shades, melodies and rhythms, authentic ethnic Hellenic sound, respecting at the same time the long historical course of Hellenic music.
The research for the discovery and registration of the elements that contributed to the evolution of Hellenic music and gave it its modern form, is only one of the two major areas in which OEM expands its activities. The research procedure has already put into practice and being carried out by the Hellenic Music Archive.
Supporting and diffusing Hellenic music, its authors and composers, as well as cooperating with other entities involved in the musical sector, are the main purposes and reason for the existence of OEM.
OEM’s activities for the support and diffusion of Hellenic Music in Greece and abroad
- Presentation to public of young talented authors, through concerts and music productions.
- Cooperation with phonographic companies, which are investing in national Hellenic music and support of their efforts to promote their works abroad
- Registration and cooperation with associations activating in the music field in Greece in order to achieve a productive development of OEM’s purposes through a common effort
- Cooperation with foreign Music Information Centers, exchanging information concerning the implementation of common cultural programs for the support of ethnic music
- Use of new technologies’ innovations in order to facilitate the communication between Hellenic and foreign music markets and vice-versa.
- Initiation of workshops in Greece, with the participation of Greek and foreign artists cooperating in the composition of new works and exchanging information and experiences concerning their work
- Organization of conferences, presenting issues related to the maintenance and encouragement of ethnic music worldwide.
- Publication of books containing historical, musicological and biographical information for the Hellenic music
- Cooperation with international associations, universities, foundations, cultural entities, etc, for the organization of international seminars and events, concerning Hellenic music and its diffusion.
- Creation of an Information Network, accessible to anyone who is interested to contact Hellenic Music market.